The FACT was created in 2010 to serve as an advisory committee to the Washington State Transportation Commission (WSTC) on tariff review for ferry fares. This committee structure has been developed jointly by the WSTC and WSDOT Ferries Division.
Purpose of FACT
- In cooperation with WSF representatives, provide advice, input and recommendations on the Fare Proposal WSF is responsible for providing to the Washington State Transportation Commission (WSTC).
- Provide input and comments to the WSTC in its fare setting process as deemed necessary.
- Annual fare reviews will focus on fare levels, the distribution of fares and the overall fare structure.
- The FACT will review options to achieve legislatively determined revenue targets, including possible pricing strategies, discounts, and exemptions.
- Provide advice to Washington State Ferries as it makes recommendations for changes to the tariff policy structure to the full Commission for its consideration in setting tariff rates and policies.
Terms & Composition of the FACT
- The FACT will be comprised of the members of the FAC Executive Council, or their designee.
- To the extent possible, members will possess expertise/ experience in areas including but not limited to: freight/ commercial; transit; bike/pedestrian; economic development; and tourism.
- If there are no members of the FAC Executive Council who possess the above areas of expertise/ experience, the FAC Executive Council, in consultation with WSF, will add members in the needed areas for purposes of participating on the FACT.
- FACT members will elect a chair to serve a term of one year. The Chair may be re-elected if the FACT chooses.
- FACT members will serve without compensation.
- The WSTC will appoint one of its members to serve as an ex-officio member of the FACT.
- The Washington State Department of Transportation will appoint an ex-officio member of the FACT.
- Consultation with local elected officials in ferry-served communities shall be sought by WSF and the FACT.
Timing & Process
- The FACT will convene after the transportation budget passes the Legislature each year. This would not preclude earlier study sessions if deemed advisable by the FACT and/or WSF.
- The FACT will provide advice to WSF as it provides fare recommendations to the Commission by no later than July of each year.
- The Commission must adopt the new fare schedule in sufficient time for the new fares to go into effect by October of each year.
- Meetings of the FACT shall be open to the public.
- Staff support of the FACT will be provided by WSF. Support will include but not be limited to:
- Fare and tariff policy analysis and data
- Operational cost data and analysis
- Usage/ ridership data
- Meeting and logistical management
- General administrative support
- Analysis of the WSTC Customer Survey Panel information